Sodium Chloride (Nasal preparation)
Sodium Chloride nasal wash is indicated for dry nasal membranes including dry nose resulting from cold and allergy medications. It moistens dry nasal passages from dry climates or from airplane travel, may help dissolve mucus from study noses and clears the nose after surgery. This sterile saline solution is also used to cleanse various parts of the body (wounds, body cavities) and medical equipment (e.g. bandages, catheters, drainage tubes). It is also used as a mixing solution (diluent) for other medications used to irrigate the body (e.g. bacitracin, polymyxin).
Sodium Chloride nasal wash is a non-drug, isotonic saline solution that is used to moisturize nasal membranes. This formulation provides comfort for extensive and continuous use.
Sodium Chloride 0.9% nasal wash moistures inside the nose by dissolving and softening thick or crusty mucus thus helps to remove the mucus from the nose and makes breathing easier. Excess sodium is predominantly excreted by the kidneys with small amounts lost in faeces and sweat.
Nasal Congestion: In infants, 1-2 drops of Sodium Chloride nasal wash in each nostril before feeds will help relieve congestion and allow more effective suckling.
Ear Wax Removal: Allow the Sodium Chloride nasal wash to warm to room temperature before use. It is important to put the drops into the ear carefully. Lie down on one side and fill the ear canal with the drops and wait for a few minutes before standing up. Age: from 6 months onwards. Put 3 to 4 drops into the affected ear(s) 3 to 4 times a day for 3 to 5 days.
How to use the Nasal Spray-
- Shake the bottle gently and remove the dust cover.
- Hold the spray with your forefinger and middle finger on either side of the nozzle and your thumb underneath the bottle. Press down until a fine spray appears. If using for the first time or if you have not used it for a week or more, press the nasal applicator several times until a fine moist comes out from the container.
- Gently blow the nose to clear the nostrils.
- Close one nostril and carefully insert the nasal applicator into the open nostril. Tilt your head forward slightly and keep the spray upright. Breathe in through your nose and while breathing in, press the white-collar of nasal applicator firmly down once to release a spray.
- Breathe out through your mouth.
- Repeat the above steps in the same/ other nostril for consecutive doses.
Cleaning: The nasal spray should be cleaned at least once a week. The procedures are as follows-
- Remove the dust cover.
- Gently pull off the nasal applicator.
- Wash the applicator and dust cover in warm water.
- Shake off the excess water and leave to dry in a normal place. Avoid to apply additional heat.
- Gently push the applicator back on the top of the bottle and re-fix the dust cover.
Do not share this medication with others. Doing so may increase the risk of infection.
No side effects are expected to occur. However stinging, sneezing, increased nasal discharge, or salty taste may occur in some cases.
Pregnancy & Lactation
Tell your doctor if you are pregnant before using this medication. It is unknown if this medication passes into breast milk. Consult your doctor before breast-feeding.
Precautions & Warnings
Tell your doctor about your medical history, especially of heart problems (e.g., congestive heart failure), lung problems (pulmonary edema), kidney problems, low levels of potassium (hypokalemia), high levels of sodium (hypernatremia), and any allergies.
There have been no adverse reports of overdose with Sodium Chloride 0.9% nasal wash.
Nasal Decongestants & Other Nasal Preparations
Keep out of the reach of children. Store at room temperature (between 15°C to 30°C), away from light and moisture.
- Type Drop
- Morbi leo risus
- Porta ac consectetur ac
- Vestibulum at eros